Popsicles, fireworks and the smells of chlorine and sunscreen will fill the air this summer. No matter the season, there is always a need for volunteers. The Bryan and College Station area offers many opportunities for involvement, and that is one of the many reasons why it has become such a desired place to live and call home! The list below includes great ways to deepen your involvement in your community. Whether you have resided in the Brazos Valley for many years, or just relocated, there are many ways for you to get plugged in.
You may not have much free time this summer, but I encourage you to try one of the Top 5 Family Friendly Ways to Serve below with your family. The five services are simple, fun and provide great memories while instilling life lessons in your children.
- In a hurry? Pay for the car behind you at the drive thru! This is an easy and quick way to give to others and make their day.
- Have a heart for the poor and abused? Make a one-time or even a recurring gift to an existing ministry. Example: Go LOCAL with Restore Her, located right here in the Brazos Valley for minor girls who are either “at risk” for sex trafficking or those who have been rescued from sex trafficking. Go BIG by sponsoring a child or giving to disaster relief through World Vision.
- Enjoy cooking? Take a meal to a family who may have a new baby or a sick family member. If the recovery process is long, plan a week’s amount of frozen dinner with some other friends, and have one person deliver all of the food with encouraging notes at the beginning of the week.
- Enjoy parties? Host a baby shower for a crisis pregnancy center, such as Hope Pregnancy Center or Aggieland Pregnancy Outreach, to help re-stock their supplies.
- Enjoy writing? Send thank you cards to people you forget to thank during the busy school season. Examples: teachers, doctors, soldiers, etc. Or take on a pen pal at a children’s hospital, such as Texas Children’s Hospital.
- Have artistic kids? Let your little ones help by showing off their art skills by decorating the cards with doodles or let the older kids showcase their fine art.
- Do you enjoy babysitting? If you know of someone that takes care of a sick family member or of someone who just had a baby – offer to take care of them and give the caretaker the night off.
- Like animals? Volunteer at Aggieland Human Society.
- Enjoy working with your hands? Serve at our local food bank, Brazos Valley Food Bank.
- Have an afternoon off? Visit an assisted living or nursing home and play checkers or hear funny stories as you visit with the elderly and teach your children to learn from and respect their elders. You may even make a friend!
- Do you have a heart for the hurting? Volunteer at a hospital. St. Joseph in Bryan and Scott & White in College Station offer volunteer opportunities.
5. BE CREATIVE
- See a need, meet a need! Look around your neighborhood – maybe your neighbor needs their lawn mowed. Surprise them and leave an anonymous note. Or volunteer at your local church and help where needed.
- Ask your children how they would like to serve!
I hope you enjoy your summer by relaxing and serving with your family!
Resources for more ways to serve locally:
Save Our Streets Ministries: Our purpose is to Rescue, Restore and Release those we serve from a drug and gang infested environment where abuse, poverty and violence are a way of life.
Scotty’s House: Our mission is to provide services to abused children and their families, which bring comfort in times of crisis and lay a foundation for a healthy future.
Resources for more ways to serve as family:
Resources for more ways to give:
Photo credit: Huffington Post