Road Map to Selling Your Home
Suggestions to an Owner: How to Help Sell Your Home
- Clean up the grounds-porches-garage. Keep lawn trimmed and edged. Make sure your yard is clean of refuse. Spruce up flower beds and trim trees.
- Clean and paint exterior surfaces, particularly the front door. Your front door gives a vital first impression while a Realtor and prospective buyer wait for you to answer the bell.
- It may be necessary to put some belongings-especially extra furniture, personal photographs and knickknacks in storage to give your home a more spacious look.
- Clean baseboards, ceiling fans, light fixtures, registers and air returns. These items are often overlooked by us but not by a buyer. Make sure grout in bathrooms is clean and repair as needed. Clean windows, wash dishes, put away clothes, straighten up or store away magazines and newspapers.
- If any decoration is needed, especially in the kitchen, do it now! $20 worth of paint may balance a $100 price cut. Bathrooms help sell homes. Make this, as well as the kitchen shine.
- Clean walls and paint with neutral colors.
- Test all light fixtures and put in new bulbs. Illumination is like a welcome sign. The potential buyers will feel more comfortable with all lights on for an evening inspection.
- Make up beds with attractive spreads.
- Keep pets out of the way during showings. One type of prospect is annoyed by pets. The other has their attention diverted by them.
- Avoid having too many people present during showings. The potential buyer will feel like an intruder and will hurry through the house. Do not allow children to tag along on a potential buyer’s tour.
- Leave the showing up to the agent. The agent knows the buyer’s criteria to emphasize the features of your home. You will be called if needed.
- Don’t discuss anything concerning the sale with the customer. Let the Realtor discuss price, terms, possession and other factors with the customer. If a prospective buyer comes by unexpectedly without a broker, get their name and phone number. FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION, DO NOT SHOW YOUR HOME.
- Never try to sell furniture to a buyer before the deal is complete.